Saturday, April 11, 2009

Garden Blitz

As you can probably tell from the first picture, last year I didn't do anything with the garden, just let it lie fallow. Last fall I covered the bed the two black pots are next to in the foreground with black plastic. The bed with the clay pot cylinder in it was mulched with grass clippings, and the bed above those two black pots was covered with maple leaves. I was experimenting with mulches.

So now the beds are cleaned up, weeded, cultivated with the garden claw. I added some more wood ash over the beds. I moved and divided the rhubarb, and made a flower bed and lined it with rocks. There's also mint, lambs ears, hollyhocks and sedum in that bed. I want to get more herbs in there too.
Bed contents--
top back left(two square beds), strawberries and herbs(mint, thyme, oregano, fireweed, arnica, irises)
middle left--herbs(rosemary, mint, sage, lambs ears, strawberries, chives, thyme.) also a small forsythia bush and sedum.
near left--in the corners there is bronze fennel, spiderwort(?), and irises. I like to grow swiss chard and other greens here, this year I'd like to try some kale, and lots of rainbow swiss chard.
forground left--this bed is so full of weeds I'm just going to cover it up for this year and start over next year. There is still a big bronze fennel plant in it. This was the perennial veggies bed, with rhubarb, artichokes, asparagus and the fennel. But I think it's too soggy, it's right next to the pumphouse and would get some runoff. But this year Dennis attached a hose to the runoff spout and now we can let the water drain where ever, so hopefully this bed will dry out.
Top back right--daylilies, branze fennel, irises, hens and chicks, lamb's ears. This is also the big fat beefy tomato bed(more on that one later).
Middle right--a bronze fennel in the corner. I grow cherry tomatoes in this one, on fencing I tie up between the posts(haven't done that yet). Also lettuce, but I'm doing lettuce in big pots this year--so something else.
Near right--raspberries. Also set up a tripod for runner beans, and squash underneath.

1 comment:

BuckBall said...

Looking good there celeste :) Hopefully you wont get too much rain that leaves you with puddles.

My Place in the Sun

My Place in the Sun

Ribular Hat and Mittens

Ribular Hat and Mittens
Buy my pattern at Ravelry! (Click pic!)

Jambo Afghan

Jambo Afghan
Buy my pattern at Ravelry! (click pic!)

Where You Can Find My Knit Designs

  • ZigZag Yoke Pullover for Women/Classic Elite Yarns
  • Swing Coat/Cherry Tree Hill Yarns
  • Generation Gap Kid's Scarf and Hat/Fall 2006 Knitter's Magazine
  • Doodles Hat and Pullover for Kids/Fall 2006 Knitter's Magazine
  • Headin' East Women's Kimono Jacket/Fall 2006 Knitter's Magazine
  • Snow Bunny Girl's Cardigan/January 2007 Creative Knitting Magazine
  • Snowman Dance Kid's Pullover and Ornament/November 2006 Creative Knitting Magazine
  • Monster Pillows/September 2006 Creative Knitting Magazine
  • Pebble Rib Women's Jacket/September 2006 Creative Knitting Magazine