Freezing rain fell this morning, and then an inch of snow. Somehow this combination of particular weather made the snow stick to the twig parts of the fir branches--usually the snow collects more blobbily. And so the structure of the fir's branching is revealed...
And is similar to the structure of little bird feet, in the angles between the toes. I found delicate little bird tracks everywhere today, looking like schematics for a dance step. The bird tracks collect in circles round the base of trees, and hop in long trails out in the open. A lot of walking/hopping to find food. I saw Stellars Jays, Juncos, Towhees, and Winter Wrens out and about. Other forest critters were out looking for food as well. Deer travelled their paths and stopped to nibble old blackberry leaves, and paw in the snow for something-anything green. Down around the pond raccoon prints lay on top of my own footprints of the day before.
The rose hips are particularly plump and glowing this year, a carmine orange-red.
My camera lense got wet in my pocket(bad but serendipitous girl!), but I loved the blurred effect it happened to make here. See how the four trees grow together as one. For the most part each bends to the outside, away from the others to arrange its own branches to best capture light. They still fill the same spherical space a lone oak would, but are sharing, playing well together.
Where You Can Find My Knit Designs
- ZigZag Yoke Pullover for Women/Classic Elite Yarns
- Swing Coat/Cherry Tree Hill Yarns
- Generation Gap Kid's Scarf and Hat/Fall 2006 Knitter's Magazine
- Doodles Hat and Pullover for Kids/Fall 2006 Knitter's Magazine
- Headin' East Women's Kimono Jacket/Fall 2006 Knitter's Magazine
- Snow Bunny Girl's Cardigan/January 2007 Creative Knitting Magazine
- Snowman Dance Kid's Pullover and Ornament/November 2006 Creative Knitting Magazine
- Monster Pillows/September 2006 Creative Knitting Magazine
- Pebble Rib Women's Jacket/September 2006 Creative Knitting Magazine
- Watching the Sun Go Down Again
- I've Seen It Raining Fire in the Sky
- I'm a Pyro-thang
- Chicken Hike
- Me and My Shadow
- Cloud Watching
- (ok I admit it)A Free People KnockOff
- Christmas Sweater 2006
- Personal FO's
- What's On the Hat Rack
- Recycled Poncho
- Design Big--Seattle Space Needle
- Princess Has Taste
- Today's Walk
- A Room With A View
- In the beginning was Pink
- Snow Day
- The Biggest Christmas Present I Ever Got
- ▼ January (21)